Chartered in 1746 as the College of New Jersey -- the name by which it was known for 150 years -- Princeton University was British North America's fourth college. Located in Elizabeth for one year and then in Newark for nine, the College of New Jersey moved to Princeton in 1756. In 1896, when expanded program offerings brought the College university status, the College of New Jersey was officially renamed Princeton University in honor of its host community of Princeton. It is one of eight universities that belong to the Ivy League. Princeton has never had any official religious affiliation, rare among American universities of its age.
The campus, located on 500 acres of landscaped grounds, features a large number of Neo-gothic-style buildings, most dating from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. While many of the were built in a Collegiate Gothic style, the university is something of a mixture of American architectural movements. Greek Revival temples, a crenellated theater, and modern buildings can all be found on campus.