Navy Pier is a 3,300 foot long pier on the Chicago shoreline of Lake Michigan. The pier was built in 1916. Its primary purpose was as a cargo facility for lake freighters, and warehouses were built up and down the pier. Over the years, Navy Pier has been used as a naval training base during World War II (for which it was renamed from Chicago Municipal Pier to Navy Pier), a college classroom, and a public gathering place. Today, the pier contains shops, a ballroom, and a concert stage. Features include a 150-foot tall Ferris wheel, the Chicago Children's Museum, and the Smith Museum of Stained Glass Windows.